1. Can I push my board in case I run out of battery out there?
Yes, you can! We have gone the extra mile and used up the entire, motor developers trick bag to reduce friction and drag within the motor to a level, where you can’t notice the difference to a normal longboard wheel anymore.
2. What is the difference between the four riding modes?
Rooky Ride: smooth acceleration, top speed 10 km/h Eco Ride: swifter acceleration, top speed 30 km/h Pro Ride: strong acceleration, top speed 40 km/h Endless Ride: you push and the motor keeps the pace for a while like a cruise control, top speed – whatever you can push
3. What does 15 km battery range mean in real life?
As with all vehicles, the use of energy is completely determined by the behavior of the rider. Just like your car uses more petrol in stop and go traffic than on the highway, an electric vehicle will show the same effects. This is always due to the large amounts of energy needed for acceleration. The endless ride mode is ment to minimize acceleration time for the Mellow Drive and therefor extends the range. We are quite certain that you will be able to go over 15km if you consequently use the endless ride mode. Opposite to that you will end up below 15km with lots of stop and go traffic. The best range is achieved when you accelerate very smoothly and drive at a constant speed of about 30km/h. And in the case you just love the thrill of accelerating with you Mellow Board then just get a second battery and go nuts!
4. Does Mellow have a reverse gear?
5. Does Mellow also fit under a penny board?
6. Does Mellow also work on very flexible boards?
We mounted Mellow on pretty much any board already and never had any problems.
7. Can I also split the Mellow 4×4 and use it on two different boards?
Yes, this is one of the big advantages of the 4×4 setup. You can synch and unsynch the two Mellow Drives via the app and also use them on two seperate boards. All you need is a second remote.
8. How does the 4×4 setup effect the speed and range of my board?
The top speed of a 4×4 setup is the same as of the single drive, that’s a physical law. But it comes with a crazy acceleration. The range on the other hand theoretically doubles. But this obviously depends on how you ride your board.
9. Does the fast charger shorten the battery life?
The fast charger we offer is a european make. It has some safety features built in that will prevent any damage on your battery.
10. What if I have a technical problem with my Mellow Drive?
We are doing everything in the first place to prevent this from happening. In case you are still faced with a technical problem, please do not hesitate to contact us via email or via the Mellow App. We will then help you to fix it as quick and easy as possible, so you can get back on board.
1. Can I ride with the Mellow Drive in bad/wet weather? Protection of critical elements of the Drive are done against automotive industry standards. Motors, battery, battery connection, remote and drive electronics (not bearings) are splash, water jet and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP65 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water jet and dust resistant are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. This means you will be able to ride in the worst weather, hitting puddles without any problems. The connection to the battery, when clicked-in, is rated IP67, but since the rest of the system is not, it should not be immersed. Immersion of the above mentioned parts in liquids shall void the warranty in any case.
2. Why is a Dual Braking System so important? First of all it means a lot more safety for you! With its Dual Braking System Mellow not only has a regenerative brake that refreshes your battery with every braking manoeuver. It also has a second braking resistor that kicks in once your battery is fully loaded. If it wouldn’t have that, the brake would simply switch off at that point. And that’s what a lot of other e-boards actually do. We felt like this is a huge lack of safety, especially if you want to also enjoy rides with longer downhill sections.
3. What happens to my board, if I happen to fall off at full speed? First of all, please wear a helmet, when you do that ;) The electronics of Mellow will notice if the rider is standing on the board or not. If you are leaving the board at a reasonable speed the electronics will brake it down automatically so it won’t shoot around like a new years rocket out of control.
4. What is the maximum weight a Mellow rider should not overshoot? This obviously also depends on the board and the flex of the board you are riding. If your Mellow Drive underneath the board scratches the ground, you know you are too heavy or you need a board with less flex. We had tall guys with 120 kilos riding a Mellow Board, no problem. If you have some heavy bones the 4x4 setup definitely comes in handy to get a better performance and acceleration.
5. Can I carry the Mellow Drive as hand luggage on an airplane? Our batteries have under 100Wh of energy and all necessary certifications (such as TÜV, CE, UN, UL, FCC). We recommend that you remove your Battery Pack from your Mellow Drive before arriving at the airport. Now you can check-in the Drive and take up to 3 Battery Packs in your cabin luggage.
6. Can I ride Mellow on the street/bike lane? In October 2015 California passed a law that allows you to ride your electric board anywhere where you can ride a bike. We truly believe this is just the beginning and the rest of the world will follow, it’s just a matter of time. Right now, it’s still sort of a legal limbo. That's why we sell Mellow as sports equipment. Where you ride it and what you do with it is your responsibility.
7. What about warranty? The Mellow Drive comes with a solid 2 year warranty. The battery has a 1 year warranty.
Price and Payment
1. Why does the Mellow Drive cost more than other electric skateboards? The Mellow Drive is a high quality product that’s developed, tested and produced in Germany. All the components come from here and are not cheaply produced in Asia or elsewhere in the world. The entire Mellow Drive is produced using automotive standards in terms of proofing against environmental influences as well as vibration, shocks and temperature. The single frame is made out of magnesium, not plastic! Our custom Mellow electronics are developed and produced by one of the leading electronics manufacturers in Germany. They produce electronics for aerospace applications and the automotive industry and have the highest standards and certifications. The in-wheel motors are produced at the same standards and they are going to blow your mind when it comes to performance, durability and riding pleasure. And the decks we will offer for the complete setups also stand for high quality and sustainability at the same time.
2. Why do I have to pay now, if shipping only starts in Februrary 2017? The payments that come in during the pre-order phase are a strong sign for our partners and potential Investors that Mellow is a product that people really want. And a full payment of course shows a much bigger commitment than just an order that you placed without paying for it.
3. Can I lose my money, if I pay now and Mellow Boards goes bankrupt or something? No. You have absolutely no financial risk. Your money will be stored on a separate escrow account where it stays untouched until shipping starts. So in case you want to cancel your order during the pre-order phase or Mellow goes bankrupt you will get your money back right away.
4. Can I cancel my order? During the pre-order phase you can cancel your order anytime.
5. Can I testride Mellow before I buy it? We are offering a lot of testrides to get as many people on board as possible. We do announce the next dates via our social media channels. And even though we try, please understand that we can’t come to everyone since the development of Mellow is still our priority #1 until we hit the market.
6. What is the price in my currency? We are still working on implementing an automatic price conversion to our pre-order shop. Until then please use a currency converter. (e.g.http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/)
7. Do I still have to pay VAT if I order outside of the EU? No. Once you select your shipping country during the order/payment process the VAT will be substracted from the total price.
8. What if I have problems to complete my order? That’s a worst case scenario! But please, don’t just give up. Drop us a message at email@example.com. In 99,9% of the cases it’s not your fault, but some technical bullshit, that we will fix right away.
9. Can I get a Mellow Drive for free if I promote it on YouTube, etc.? Since we get this question quite often, we have to really select whom we supply with a Mellow Drive for free. The deciding factor is the audience you have to offer in exchange. But if you want to write a review about the Mellow Drive, feel free to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to hook up with you for a day or two to give you the chance to fully experience what the Endless Ride is all about.
1. When will you start shipping? Our Kickstarter supporters will be the first to get their Mellow Drives in February 2017. Order now and get your Mellow Drive by October 2017.
2. To which countries are you shipping? We are shipping worldwide.
3. What about customs? Customs are already included in your shipping costs. Which means you pay a little extra, but you get your Mellow Drive delivered right up to your doorstep without any hassle.
1. What size wheels and trucks do you use for the Mellow Drive? We use 80mm 80a wheels and the truck is a standard 180mm longboard truck.
2. Are you also going to offer different wheels? Yes, in the future we will stock up our online shop with a variety of wheels in different sizes, duro and shapes.
3. How quick do the wheels wear off and how can I replace them? This definitely depends on how you ride your board, but should last a few years with normal use. Mellow Wheels are very robust, but if you slide a lot with your board they will of course wear out more quickly. To replace them just unscrew the nut from the axle with a regular skateboard tool, slide off the used wheel, slide the new one back on, tighten the nut – done.
4. Can I also get a matching front truck and wheels with my Mellow Drive? Yes, we also offer a single front truck with wheels in the same color and shape as the one on the Mellow Drive.
5. Can I get a second remote to use my 4×4 setup on two separate boards? Yes. Via the Mellow App you can pair and split the two Mellow Drives as you like. This feature will be the first firmware update in 2018.
6. Can I add more accessories to my order during the pre-order phase? Yes you can. Just send us an email to email@example.com with the details of your first order before you order again and we will send you a voucher to safe you the extra shipping costs. We will then add all items to your Mellow Box.